Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:13:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *huge* setuid diffs

> I just got /etc/security mail from two 2.2.6 servers I administer.  The
> setuid diffs list every setuid program on the server as having been
> removed and replaced.
>
> We haven't done a make world.  We haven't touched much of anything.
>
> Is this normal, or should I be worried?

My guess is that the files just got old enough so that the ls -l
"last modified" information shows the year instead of the time, which
is reflected in the diff between /var/log/setuid.today and
/var/log/setuid.yesterday (which is what shows up in the mail
/etc/security sends to you).

Freaked me out the first time it happened to me, too. If that's indeed
what's happened, it's completely harmless.

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji