Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:34:50 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        root@bmccane.maxbaud.net (Wm Brian McCane)
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slooow expires (inn 1.5.1 and 1.7.2.insync1.1d)

> > > 	I recently upgraded my system from 1.5.1 to 1.7.2.insync1.1d.
> > > The first time expire ran, I finally killed it 18 hours later.  With
> > > 1.5.1 I was running an expire in under an hour.  My history file is about
> > > 120M in size (nothing compared to some of yours I am sure).  I tried to
> > > re-install 1.5.1, and now its expire is very slow also.  I have not
> > > changed my kernel, or done a make world, but I am seeing dramatically
> > > slower times.
> >
> > I had the same problem. I'm using 1.5.1 with the "delayrm" parameter, and
> > building a new history takes about 10 min for 250 MB history-size..
> > Suddenly, it took about 36 hours. I noticed, that the expire-proces,
> > usually using up to about 40 MB RAM, stayed at about 1.5 MB.
> >
> > I tried several things without avail. The last thing before giving up was
> > to rebuild the history index files with "makehistory -r -s <size>". After
> > that, expire took again about 10 min...
> >
> I had already thought of that, guess I should have mentioned it.  The
> makehistory has been running for over 11 hours.  I notice it is spending
> nearly ALL of its time in 'biord' according to top.  This is the same
> thing I noticed with expire.

I think you just went over some limit and now the database isn't
handled in RAM anymore but on disk. It might be not enough RAM
or the limits in login.conf might be too low or something like
that. Try running /usr/bin/limits out of cron the same way your
expiry is done and have a look at its output.

Inn and its utilities change automatically over from memory
based usage to disk based usage for some of its operations
if it can't allocate enough memory... and then performance
sucks big time.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za