Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:56:09 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSDPAN

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:56:16PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:33:03PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> >=20
> > How do I use BSDPAN?
> >=20
> > I'm assuming that it's reasonably automagic, but have no idea where to
> > start - I don't seem to have it installed, for one.
> >=20
> > I'm running -STABLE with the base perl.
>=20
> As far as I can tell, there isn't a version of BSDPAN that works with
> the base perl (ie. 5.005.03).  The BSDPAN modules aren't available
> from CPAN -- seems the only source is MASTER_SITE_LOCAL, eg:
>=20
>     ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/tobez/
>=20
> and there isn't an appropriate version there.

Ah; that makes sense.  It looks like it used to be in the base system,
but isn't anymore, which is probably one source of my confusion:

	{setantae@shrike}-{~} $ locate BSDPAN | head -1
	/a/FreeBSD/ncvs/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/BSDPAN

> If you install one of the perl versions from ports, you'll get the
> matching BSDPAN version automatically.  You don't need to do anything
> special to use it, just install perl modules from CPAN in the normal
> way:
>=20
>     # perl -MCPAN -e shell
>=20
> All BSDPAN does is subclass some of the ExtUtils modules to add some
> glue between the ports/pkg system and CPAN, so you can use the pkg_*
> tools on perl modules and so forth.

That's what I'd figured, but I didn't realise I needed a perl from ports.
Thanks very much for the clarification.

Ceri

--=20

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2