Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:54:57 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Follow-up install questions

On 10/15/15 08:40, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 7:42 AM, William A. Mahaffey III
> <wam@hiwaay.net <mailto:wam@hiwaay.net>> wrote:
>
>     Pursuant to ongoing issues trying to install FreeBSD 9.3R on my
>     Myth-TV box, I have some questions about provisioning another box,
>     also w/ 9.3R. That box is AMD A-10 APU based, w/ 8X 1 TB 2.5"
>     HDD's. Given the problems I am having getting the (smaller,
>     simpler box) going. I am pondering using ZFS on the larger box. To
>     that end, I have a couple of questions. ZFS supports (man page)
>     'unmirrored pools'. Is that tantamount to striped RAID ? If so,
>     what sort of I/O performance can I look for there ? There was a
>     lengthy thread a few weeks ago on ZFS & performance. I (think I)
>     recall someone saying they used a bunch of 1-HDD vdevs to get some
>     semblance of good I/O performance w/ a RAIDZn configuration, is
>     that (additional layer of config) actually required ? My man page
>     says vdev's can be single devices or 'a collection of devices',
>     with devices being disks (individual HDD's ?), files, mirrors, or
>     raidz's. Are those mirrors necessarily ZFS mirrors, or can they be
>     gmirrors ? I am interested in maximizing the size of the storage
>     pool available, & the best I/O performance I can get. This box
>     will be backed up across the LAN onto other boxen, so I am
>     worrying less about HDD reliability & more about performance & max
>     available GiB's/TiB's. TIA & have a good one.
>

> Why is speed such a concern for you?  A single SATA is easily enough
> to read and write multiple 1080p streams concurrently.
>
> What do you have against white space? It's too painful to read further.
>
> --
> Adam

I am not streaming 1080p streams on this box, that would be on the
smaller MythTV box. I will be using the larger box to compile in-house
analysis code (predominantly CFD, some FEA) & run validation cases, some
of which can/will produce prodigious amounts of output, ASCII & binary.
Larger data sets can take plural min. to write on linux mdadm RAID0's,
current 1st-hand experience w/ the incumbent 1-box
compile-farm-&-validation box, Intel based. I/O performance *IS* an
issue for me, sorry for the bother. I configure *ALL* of my boxen to
possibly serve as validation & calculation boxen, maxed-out RAM &
generous swap space. Again, sorry for that bother. I am planning to
follow the wiki page
(https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE) closely,
obviously w/ more HDD's, in my setup, with just the one (1) question
about 'unmirrored zpools'. That page implies that *any* zpool
configuration will work, I am just trying to verify that & save myself
as many bumps in the road & wasted time as possible. TIA for any further
help & experience or sage advice. Have a good one.

& WTF about white space ?

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."