Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:12:47 -0500
From:      jason henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        John DeStefano <john.destefano@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_smbfs variable error

John DeStefano wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:39:58 -0500, jason henson <jason@ec.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>John DeStefano wrote:
>>

>>>I get the following error when I try to mount_smbfs a LAN file share
>>>as root with 5.3-RELEASE and a GENERIC kernel, both cvsup-ed and
>>>compiled this past weekend:
>>>/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: mount_smbfs: Undefined symbol "vfsisloadable"
>>>
>>>I can't find a whole lot of information about this error.  But
>>>apparently, "vfsisloadable" is an outdated parameter that should no
>>>longer be referenced in the source.
>>>
>>>The only other reference I found to this error was a kernel that was
>>>missing the proper support, but it seemed that a GENERIC kernel would
>>>take care of that.
>>>
>>>Any ideas on how to verify that my system has got whatever mount_smbfs
>>>may need to operate properly, or how to remedy the error?
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>~John

>>Did you do a kldstat to see if smbfs.ko is there?  It is no longer in
>>GENERIC.
>>

>Hi Jason,
>
>I too found that link, which is where I got the idea that
>"vfsisloadable" was an outdated parameter, but I saw that loading the
>smb_fs module generated an error for that user, so I didn't follow up
>on that information.
>
>I'm glad you pointed this out though, as loading the kernel module
>works for me.
>
>But without your response, how would I ever have known this?  It's
>certainly not mentioned in UPDATING, and the error output was not
>helpful.  Where would I have found this information?
>
>Thanks,
>~John

I just found it with google by cutting and pasting.  I then did some
reading.  I find the archive search at freebsd.org kind of sucks.  You
could also try google.com/bsd.  This was also on the current mailing
list.  I was thinking about submitting something to the doc project
about stuff I find, but in the past they have emailed me back showing me
it was already in them(usaully in a faq).  So I haven't sent to many new
items to them.  Also in the past I have done a diff between my kernel
conf and GENERIC to see the changes between updates, but I have learned
most of it well enough to spot most things now.  I also don't build in
anything I can load.

I guess you would have never have know with out many hours of poking
around your system, but thats what these lists are for right? :)