Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:28:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   ccd driver under 2.2 STABLE and crashes

Forwarded message:
>From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG  Wed Nov 26 08:04:35 1997
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.com (Free BSD Questions list)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 07:20:08 -0500 (EST)
From: "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

	I have just set up c ccd device on my FreeBSD 2.2 STABLE bix. It
	consists of 3 66M HP SCSI drives concatenated inot 1 1.8G filesyste,
	Createing the ccd and mounting it goise OK. Then I start a tar
	operation to move about 1.2M worth of data to this ccd. The machine is
	runing the normal load for eerything els.

	Somewhere *after* 33% (one complete disks worth?) of data is written to
	these drives the machine reboots itslef. This has happende 4 times at
	this point. The last time it just hung istead of rebooting. OnceI
	caught the error message it was:

	tar: couldn't write to file debian/bo/source/misc/bl_1.2-2.dsc : File
	too large

	This file is very small!Once the machine is rebooted, an arempt to fsck
	the ccd fails with some very strange errors such as negative inode
	numbers, and truncated inodes.

	I believe thateither there must be a bug in the ccd driver, or perhaps
	I have somehow set it up incorectly. Here is what i did to set it up:

	recompile kernel with ccd osuedo-driver

	do MAKDEV ccd0

	diskalabel -r -w auto each of the drives.

	diskalabel -e ecah of the drives and chane the partiton type for the c
	partition to 4.2BSD

	ccdconfig ccd0 16 o /dev/sd0c /fev/sd1c /dev/sd2c

	newfs /dev/rccd0

	mount the /dev/ccd0c /mirror

	and then I.

	tar cf -. | ( cd /mirror ; tar xvf -)

	and about 30 minutes laer the system crashes, reliably. Ths machine has
	been rock solid for over a year now. It is my main communications
	server, and I have reached the point where I am tired of crashing it.

	Can someone give me some advice here? Have I done somthing wrong? Is
	this a nown bug? I'm on 2.2 STABLE from a few months agoa. cvsupedwith
	the 2-2RELENG tag.

	Please help a frustrated FreeBSD user.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    770-996-6955