Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:27:42 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>, ache@nagual.pp.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG, acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI: problem with fdc resource allocation

Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> I know several local guys with exactly the same
> bug (some time ago I've convinced some them to swith to -current
> and test/report any problems) and it is very sad to see my efforts
> vanished, especially considering that the source of the problem is
> located and as you said it is a "trivial" one.

FWIW, "trivial" usually refers to the complexity of the problem,
not the amount of work required to fix it (if it's trivial, then
that means the work to fix it is "grunt work", i.e. it is not
intellectually challenging, and therefore not attractive to work
on or spend your effort on).

The other use of "trivial" is "concerned with trivia"; it means
that while the problem is known, so is the workaround, and so it
is not a critical problem, just an annoying one.  The most commonly
cited workaround for this case is to delete or rename "acpi.ko" to
prevent it being loaded.

The first definition is the one used by mathematicians; the second
one is used by the other sciences to describe things like the value
of the constant of integration, when all they are concerned with is
a line fit for the curve (i.e. set it to whatever displaces the
curve sufficiently for it to fit the data).

-- Terry