Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:32:41 -0400
From:      webmaster <admin@reif.cncdsl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   question

I have searched extensively for info on this subject and
have found nothing. I admin a server which gets allot of
bad requests daily. In fact, it has over 400 meg in bad
log files daily.

I asked a real Unix guru about the problem and he recommended
using tar pitting. The idea is that every time a bad request
is generated by an I.P. the time the server takes to respond is
increased.
Example:
Bad request #1. server answers with 401 error in 1 second
Bad request #1. server answers with 401 error in 2 seconds
Bad request #1. server answers with 401 error in 4 seconds

This sounds like the perfect answer to many problems with
a variety of server attacks. The problem is I can only find
info on the subject relating to spam mail and sendmail.
Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Terry Reifsnyder

Please RE: treif1@netaxs.com