Date:      09 Mar 2002 21:44:20 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for login.c, added questions

Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:
> Reading thru login.c, it seems to me that we should probably
> consider some other changes too.  One thing I noticed, for
> instance, is that login.c tries to setup a 300-second timeout,
> but apparently that timeout is masked off somewhere inside the
> auth_pam() processing.

OpenPAM's standard conversation function uses a 180-second timeout for
prompts, but it should restore the previous signal handlers and mask
and restart any previously running timer.  It's conceivable that there
is a bug in that code, though.  Take a look at
src/contrib/openpam/lib/openpam_ttyconv.c and see if you spot any
glaring errors.

> Do people think we could drop the nice idea of avoiding the
> syslog message in the above situation, and just always write
> out the syslog message right when we know the password is
> wrong?  That will increase the number of syslog messages,
> which might alarm some users, but I think it's safer.

I totally agree.  It's just not worth the added complexity.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org