Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:34:47 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@MooseRiver.com>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Olivier Mueller <om-lists-bsd@omx.ch>
Subject:   Re: 6.1 with PAE on a recent server (HP DL380 G5 or Dell PE 1950) ?

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:57:50PM -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Olivier Mueller wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I will soon get some new servers with more than 4 GB of RAM, and
> >I am wondering if they will work fine even with the PAE
> >option activated: are all the required drivers (RAID mfid, bce
> >on the Dell, ciss0 on the HP) 100% compatible, or should I expect
> >trouble?=20
> > =20
>=20
> Why not use AMD64 mode instead of PAE?

I vote for using AMD64 mode instead of PAE. I did some testing last month
and found PAE to be very brittle. We were testing with HP DL360 (IIRC) and
found that the onboard Broadcom ether did not like PAE. The system panicked
when it went to initialize the device.=20

=20
Josef

--=20
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 6.1
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--