Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2006 11:53:10 -0000
From:      "SiteRollout.com" <info@siterollout.com>
To:        "'Roland Smith'" <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Three FreeBSD 6 questions

Many thanks for all the replies guys. I used the following method pasted
below remotely without having to boot up in single user mode and it =
worked
fine to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1/6.2, so I'm sharing with all in case =
anyone
needs to do the same.

However I want to downgrade from 6.2 PRERELEASE to 6.1 as I'm getting =
this
message on one server:

This system is running FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE.
FreeBSD Update is only designed to track FreeBSD Security
and Errata branches and cannot update this system

1.) Do I need to downgrade to get the latest security updates?

2.) Can I "rm -fr /usr/src/" to delete everything and pull the latest =
files
via cvsup again to perform a clean install of 6.0 STABLE(which is =
currently
6.1)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Remote server system upgrade:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Edit cvsupfile

# nano /etc/cvsupfile

*default  host=3Dcvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=3D/usr
*default  prefix=3D/usr
*default  release=3Dcvs
*default  tag=3Dnone
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default tag=3DRELENG_6
src-all
ports-all
doc-all

# cvsup -g -L2 /etc/cvsupfile

# make buildworld

Now edit a custom kernel if you need to make specific changes

# uname -a
	FreeBSD server9.site-rollout.co.uk 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE
#0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004    =20
	root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# cp GENERIC FOOBAR

# cd /usr/src/
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DFOOBAR

# make installkernel KERNCONF=3DFOOBAR

Lets backup your existing /etc directory just incase something goes =
wrong.

# cp -Rp /etc /home/backupetc

# mergemaster -p

Add following entry to /etc/groups if it doesn't exist

audit:*:77:

# make installworld

Now all of the system userland will be installed. This will take 5-10 =
mins
or less. Once the system userland has been installed you need to do the =
most
important step and also most confusing at times. You need to run
'mergemaster'

# mergemaster

You will see the mergemaster application start comparing your existing =
/etc
directory config files and passwd and group files and other files and it
will start prompting you if you want to either install the files or =
delete
them or merge them. For the majority of the files you can just tell them =
safely install.

DO NOT EVER INSTALL A NEW master.passwd, passwd or group files. You also =
be
careful about replacing the /etc/mail/aliases and /etc/rc.firewall =
firewall
file if you have a custom IPFW firewall created. If you do you will lock
yourself out. If you do happen to install a new password file you will =
need
copy back your old one from the backup you just made.

% At prompt asking you what you to do or showing you part of a file. =
Press
'q' and then 'i' to install the file or 'd' to delete it.

Just select 'q' and then 'i' for the most of them except the files I
mentioned above or any other files you have edited with custom entries =
for
your system.

You will then be prompted to build the new device tree if you installed =
the
MAKEDEV during mergemaster ( you should have ) select 'y' and let it =
build.
It will then maybe ask you to rebuild the 'aliases' file. Select 'y' =
After
that it will ask you if you want to delete the temp root directory. =
Select
'y'.

You now have a updated system and need to reboot. Be sure to reboot =
shortly
or it will cause possbile problems if you do this from a remote host.

# shutdown -r +1

The system will reboot and you can login and startup any services that =
you
need to.

If the system does not come back up and you have tried installing a =
firewall
have a technician look at the local console and tell them to soft reboot =
the
server with 'ctrl + alt + del'. When he system is booting up you can =
tell it
you want load a custom kernel by pressing any key other then 'enter' =
when
prompted. Then you type.

% unload
% boot kernel.GENERIC
or
% boot kernel.old
% boot kernel.prev

This depends on what your old kernel file was called most systems will =
have
a kernel.GENERIC on them unless you removed it.

That will get the system backup and you can fix any errors with the
firewall.

Finally, delete any unwanted files in /user/