Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 18:08:17 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Subject:   Re: man(1) oddity - was: HEADS UP: bzip2(1) compression for manpages...

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 11:53:49AM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Andy Farkas wrote:
> >
> >Arrghh. Why you not believe me when I have proved the user experience is
> >different between 4.x and 5.x ?????
>=20
> He isn't denying that. He's just claiming these 10 seconds are not a=20
> result of the man page being catpaged.
>=20
Right.

> I do have a question... on these examples, does the cat page exist or=20
> not, for each?
>=20
It does not.  If it exists and is up-to-date, it's just uncompressed
(if it's compressed) and displayed.

> And what happens in the other case (ie, if the cat page=20
> does not exist in these examples, what happens when it does exist)?
>=20
If the catpage does not exist, it's either created (if the user
has the write permission to the cat* directory) or the raw
manpage gets formatted, and the output is piped to the PAGER.
Piped, not ";"ed, hence no message.

If we are to add the message, it should be "Formatting and
displaying the page, please wait..." which is silly (IMO).

--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,
ru@FreeBSD.org		FreeBSD committer,