Date:      07 Sep 1998 17:29:42 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Dr R D Gidden <rdg@theleys.cambs.sch.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalid master.passwd file

Dr R D Gidden <rdg@theleys.cambs.sch.uk> writes:

> I've done something stupid while running adduser
> which has left /etc/master.passwd looking like
> /etc/passwd, ie with a single * in the password field
> instead of the encrypted gobbledegook.

   snip

> I have over 700 users in this file (AARGH!): is it possible
> to work back from the .db file(s)?  My backup was just
> *before* a whole slew of new users were added :-((

Bob, I don't know about working backwards from the .db files, but have
you checked in /var/backups to see if there's a good version there?
The standard cron jobs backup master.passwd daily if it has been
changed, at least they do on FreeBSD 3.0.  (I'm assuming that when you
say "my backup" you mean system backups you've done yourself)

--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com