Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:32:04 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ability for maintainers to update own ports

On Nov 10, 2003, at 3:25 PM, Eric Anholt wrote:
> One thing I've wondered about, though, is the process for people
> getting
> commit bits.  Is it always on the initiative of an existing committer
> (as it was in my case) or would it be considered acceptable for people
> who would like to become committers and maintain their ports directly
> propose themselves on a list for someone to pick them up as a new
> committer?

There may be some advantage to having an existing committer act as a
guide and mentor for the person gaining commit privileges; certainly,
that was the way Apple handled giving CVS commit access to the Darwin
tree for non-Apple people.

With regard to the origin of this thread, it might be useful to
understand what the actual scope of the problem is: how long does it
take, on average, for a new port submission to be committed?  My
limited experience suggests an interval between one week for a "highly
interesting" port (dvd+rw-tools, in my case) to three or four months
for other ports, but real data pulled out of the bug database would be
more reliable than personal impressions.

It might also be useful to set realistic targets for response times and
mention them in the Porter's Handbook, so that people who submit ports
know what to expect in terms of a timeframe.  I'd really like to be
able to suggest something like "you should have a committer review your
submission within one month" and have that be doable, but I can't say
whether that (or any particular fixed interval) would be practical.

--
-Chuck