Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 07:45:29 -0400
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   running my own local time server

There was a good thread a few days ago about using ntpd/ntpdate to sync
a machine to a public timeserver. I've got a number of machines and
don't want to flood public timeservers with requests (even Stratum 2
servers). I'd rather sync just ONE machine and sync all my other
machines to it.

Checking /etc/defaults/rc.conf and "man timed", I've found out a little
about timed. My question is this: Are timed and ntpd compatible? Can I
use ntpd (which I know how to use and like) to sync to a machine running
timed? If not, can I run a NTP server? (maybe there's a port I don't
know about)

A quick look through the man pages makes me think that this will not
work, that timed and ntpd are different beasts.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith@code-fu.com>
Programmer at Large