Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:21:28 +0100
From:      Piero <piero@poprostu.pl>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gpdf vs acrobat for linux

Hi,

This is a description of a problem I found using gpdf to read some
online howto. I found that out trying to view this document on an
old laptop that I use at work. As it has a small disk the Linux base
port is not installed. But the PDF file I was trying to read (see
source below) has all the source quotes with monotype font
unreadable.

When I fit the page in the window, those text pieces turn out as
horizontal lines, when I magnify the page all I can get is blank
space. At home I got Adobes Acrobat for Linux port installed and I
can see those source quotes. They look weird, rough etc. but I can
see them. What came to my mind is also, I got some font problem, but
I don't seem to suffer from it in any other application.

I wrote to the author of the howto, and he says I should try xpdf.
Well, AFAIR gpdf is a port of xpdf into Gnome widget set. Just
compiled and what I see, is even better picture than from Acrobat.
The text lines are in place.

I made shots with Acrobat, xpdf and gpdf windows side by side to
compare the effects.

Screenshots:
http://www.smyrak.com/~smyru/screenshots/gpdf/

PDF file: