Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:18:33 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi@caudium.net>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/34487: Feedback request on hardware FAQ idea

Xavier Beaudouin wrote:

The following reply was made to PR docs/34487; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi@caudium.net>
To: Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
Cc: <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: re: kern/34487: ASUS P2B-DS Problem (Close Request)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:15:42 +0100 (CET)

  Hi !

  > As agreed above, by the originator, the problem/issue is
  > resolved, and all neccessary *new* firmware updates were
  > applied.
  >
  > If the originator agrees, this PR can be successfully closed,
  > and I will take the point to document this problem in the
  > Handbook, as my next patch to the FreeBSD-Doc list.

  This is ok for me, the upgrade of the SCSI bios with v1013 of the bios
  totaly solve this problem...

  > This also suggests that we put up a "Troubleshooting" section
  > in the installation chapter of the handbook. This goes to
  > murray and the -doc team [;)]

  This is maybe a good idea... because I wasn't able to find anything about
  this specific motherboard problem... and a little note about upgrading the
  bios should help people [:)]

  Thanks again [:)]
  /Xavier

  --  Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
  For mail address, please check header of this mails. Spams are not
accepted.
  Caudium: http://caudium.net/, CAMAS webmail: http://camas.caudium.net/
  [ Little fortune now ]
   Those who don't understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it, poorly.
   --Henry Spencer

It would be such a difficult task to document all the different hardware
"make-me-work" 's that are availible.  And sometimes, you can blame
install problems on RAM, which happened to me once when trying to
extract into / and /usr from the cd, its been about 6 months since this
last happened, so please do not expect my memory to be exact.

I would offer the idea of a 'hardware FAQ' or hardware 'article' which
would help to document the various problems and installation methods of
various hardware and hardware configurations.  But this will undoubtedly
bring forth the problems of "who will" and "with what time", plus
generate a task of keeping track of the many different hardware
configurations, which would be very difficult if not nearly impossible.

A good resource for this type of documentation, as in gathering the
information, would be hanging around the news groups gathering posts of
hardware problems and how they were fixed, the various FreeBSD mailing
lists, and even some #FreeBSD chat rooms throughout the IRC world.

Opinions, or am I just crazy?

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.Pittgoth.com Gothic Liberation Front