Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:59:17 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox 2 crashing with any printing-related activity

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 13:50 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> For some time now, I have been having a problem with firefox 2. If I
>> do anything printing related (including just print preview) firefox
>> Seg faults. It will send the print job to the printer first, then
>> crash when the dialog closes. Here is the information you requested on
>> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
>>
>> FreeBSD lap 7.0-CURRENT-1213 FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT-1213 #0: Wed Dec 13
>> 21:36:15 PST 2006 i386
>>
>> This is an Intel Core 2 Duo system running i386 SMP. I'm running with
>> X11BASE=/usr/local/xorg in order to help with the fixing of the ports
>> prior to the move.
>>
>> pkg_info, env output, and gdb log are here:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/env.out
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/pkg_info.out
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/gdb.log
>
> I can't reproduce.  This stack trace is also missing four pretty
> critical frames.

Are you talking about 11-14? Are those frames, or are those stack values?

>> Ports are up to date as of this morning, base is up to date as of last
>> night.
>>
>> I tried this with CUPS off, and building firefox completely without
>> CUPS on the system at all, and the result is the same. I've also tried
>> building without using ccache.
>
> This doesn't matter.  Have you tried _running_ Firefox without cups-base
> on the system?

Well, yeah. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I've built firefox with and
without CUPS installed. On the last run I even moved the
libprintbackend-cups.* files out of the way to make sure they weren't
available, and verified that the only print option was
Postscript/default when I ran it. I also tried downloading the
package, and got the same result.

> CUPS will (once again) be dloaded by Firefox if present.
> I tried both with and without cups-base installed, and I still can't get
> Firefox to crash.

D'oh. Questions, are you using an SMP box, and are you using -current?
Because I can make a UP kernel, and/or try the test on RELENG_6 on the
same box if that'll help.

> I say, "once again" because we have seen a similar CUPS-related crash in
> the past,

I remember that, but it looks like this one is not CUPS' fault.

> and it looks like my bandaid fix was broken over the years.
> If it is the same problem that we saw before, removing cups-base during
> runtime should prevent the crash.  If so, we can re-patch Firefox not to
> use libcups, and instead CUPS users can rely on the CUPS lpd commands to
> do their printing.  It won't be as pretty, but it will at least avoid a
> crash (unless someone can finally track down what the conflict is
> between CUPS and Firefox).

Well, ugly + works > pretty + crashes. :)

Thanks to Jeremy's suggestion I created a new firefox with the debug
OPTION (duh, should have thought of that). I uploaded the following:

With CUPS
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/debug.log
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/gdb2.log

Without CUPS