Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:08:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        martin@tdc.on.ca (Martin Renters)
Subject:   Re: CDwriter software

As Martin Renters wrote:

> Is there a particular reason that we've gone with a 'worm' driver
> interface for CD writers, as opposed to a 'cdwrite' program like Linux
> has?

Linux cdwrite heavily violates layering.  I had a look at it when i
started my work, but immediately threw it away.  It is unnecessary
complex.

Device handling basically belongs into the kernel.  Your arguments
don't convince me that the problem is unsolvable with a properly
designed kernel driver.  I don't claim the current driver is properly
designed.  And Jordan, your argument of the changes that prevent the
HP 4020i from working in 2.1.5 are not against the worm driver, but
only make a flaw with the previous handling of SCSI `type' drivers
obvious.  You forgot that i've been introducing the SCSI type override
feature for the SONY SMO MO drive, not for CD-R devices. ;-)

--
cheers, J"org