Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:07:24 -0400
From:      misha <misha@research.att.com>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: T/TCP useless on FreeBSD 4.7?

Bruce, Michael:

Thanks a lot for the sysctl values tips.
While 4.7 release does not seem to have drop_synfin
option,  syncookies indeed used to be 1 (but now we changed
it to 0) on both machines:

> sysctl net.inet.tcp | grep -E 'rfc1644|drop_synfin|cook'
net.inet.tcp.rfc1644: 1
net.inet.tcp.syncookies: 0

Unfortunately,
setting it to 0 did not help: the tcp dump looks exactly the same.
In addition, I tried the following changes  on the server
(although it was clear this would not make any diff,  but
just to be diligent)

(a) replace "send" call (as in T/TCP book)
with "sendto" call according to the ttcp manpage:

  sendto(sock, buf, len, MSG_EOF, (struct sockaddr *)0, 0)

 (b) not send any reply at all, just read from the socket and
close it.

(c)  set "TCP_NOPUSH" option on the server's socket  before writing
response to it (with sendto call above).

In all cases, the tcp dump shows a timeout + retransmission by the client...
Also, what do you think about that source ode snippet I included into
my original mail?  It would certainly explain the behavior, except it would
also mean that T/TCP is no longer usable.  Unless that piece of code
is somehow bypassed with proper options...

Thanks again,
Michael