Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:54:27 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:32:50PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:

>  >     (1) It just overwrote system files that users are not supposed to
>  >         change anyway, like files in /etc/defaults and the /etc/rc*
>  >         files.
> Additionally, I think it might be a good idea to make those
> files schg by default, and teach mergemaster to noschg/schg
> them if required.

A possibility of running mergemaster in multiuser is essential.
Playing with system immutable files when securelevel>0 is trick.
Currently temproot cannot be cleaned up after mergemaster
due to $temproot/var/empty when securelevel>0 but that's not big deal
because it's empty :)

However, having configs/scripts marked as system immutable will bring
more pain and break POLA, imho.

Eugene Grosbein

P.S. Yes, I known that running installworld and mergemaster is not
supported and is not recommended but this works most of time
and this possibility is very, very valuable thinking about
downtime.