Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 21:18:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speed test

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
 > I'm not sure what the bus speed is, but the memory width is 64 bit.
 > You have to use 8 SIMMS at a time with the Durango motherboard,
 > nothing smaller.

Uh, no.  The registers are 64 bits wide.  If you use 8 SIMMS at a time,
the memory bus width is 8x32 = 256 bits wide.  Think in terms of
refilling cache; you get to read 256 bits/cycle.  This is pretty typical
of high-end RISC processors, and one of the reasons why they're faster
in real-world, multitasking use than PC systems with 32- and 64-bit wide
memory buses.  Of course, they cost a lot more, too.

 > > If so, then that alpha better not have cost more than 2000 UK pounds (or
 > > $2000 I suppose considering the price of hardware here.)
 >
 > It's less than that and remains a pretty good deal.  Don't forget that
 > memory speed isn't the only benchmark it wins. :-)

Can you say "floating point?"  Sure, I knew you could.  Actually, in
terms of price/performance, FreeBSD/AXP would scare the pants off just
about any system in the world.  ;^)  Is Carrera Computers still kicking
around?  A couple of years ago, they were busting up DEC's performance
numbers with their AXP systems.