Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2021 16:44:26 +0200
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
Subject:   Re: OpenZFS from ports

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021, 16:11 andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com> wrote:

> Evidently development on PEFS seems to have stalled, so I'm not expecting
> a patch to fix the build on 13.0 any time soon. Consequently I'm looking at
> moving the data to a ZFS encrypted filesystem on the 13.0 machine, but for
> various reasons I'm a bit hesitant.

Just use defaul zfs on encrypted geli as installer suggests. Use aesni
module to use hardware for encryption. It works fine :-)

PEFS may be good for local encryption of selected directory / files. zfs +
geli is better for system wide. Please report PEFS to bugzilla it ma be
fixed soon :-)

ZFS provides you with (differential) snapshot (and then standard stream)
mechanism that you can put into cron to create automatic incremental
backups and export.