Date:      Thu, 1 May 2014 09:45:58 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crochet - why does it (try to) change files in /usr/src?

On Apr 30, 2014, at 3:56 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen =
<torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no> wrote:

> =3D=3D=3D> lib/libexpat (cleandir)
> rm -f bsdxml.h bsdxml_external.h libbsdxml.3.gz libbsdxml.3.cat.gz
> rm: bsdxml.h: Permission denied
> rm: bsdxml_external.h: Permission denied
> *** Error code 1
>=20
> Stop.
> make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libexpat
> (I wasn't running crochet as root, and I suspect it is the reason for =
failure)
>=20
> Question 1: it look to me like the script is trying to remove stuff =
(files) from /usr/src. Why is it doing that?

It=92s not.

The =91buildworld=92 target is cleaning the appropriate /usr/obj =
directories in case there was a previous build there.

> Question 2: why does crochet need root?

As for requiring root:

 * In theory, it should not require root.

 * In practice, Crochet relies on the FreeBSD build infrastructure, =
which until recently did require root.

 * In practice, FreeBSD=92s build infrastructure now has most of the =
necessary tools to do full system builds and installs without requiring =
root.  (As someone else pointed out, we don=92t have tools for =
constructing disk images with multiple partitions, nor for creating FAT =
partitions.)

 * In practice, no one has stepped forward with Crochet patches to allow =
it to work without requiring root.  It should be relatively simple to =
get Crochet to compile all the pieces without requiring root.  =
Assembling the final disk image without root privileges will require =
more effort.

Cheers,

Tim