Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2021 23:16:10 +0100
From:      Norman Gray <norman.gray@glasgow.ac.uk>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: script problem

Antonio, hello.

On 21 Apr 2021, at 22:08, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I have made changes from #!/bin/bash to #!/bin/sh and added some code
> so that the files m3Dplain.mp and m3Dsty01.mp are skipped from being
> metaposted.  These files are not in texlive2021 for some reason or
> another and I do not know how to add them as easily if I were using
> miktex install on the fly option.

It looks like the m3D package [1], where those files from from, is a
little old, and may not be compatible with the current version of mpost.
  That may be why it's not readily available as part of a current
TeXLive.  Certainly, when I try (just now) to build this book from the
sources, and install m3D locally, the build of torus.mp fails with an
error which smells to me strongly of version-skew.

If I press on, I see that the source depends on a picins.sty package,
which appears [2] to be a LaTeX 2.09 package (ie, _very_ old).

I suspect it would be challenging to build the book from its sources,
using a half-way recent release of TeXLive.  It doesn't look impossible,
but it might well involve some non-trivial hacking of the source, which
it might be better to encourage the author to embark on.

Good luck!

Norman

[1] http://www-math.univ-poitiers.fr/~phan/m3Dplain.html
[2] https://www.ctan.org/pkg/picins