Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:16:15 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports vs. packages

leegold wrote:

> PS given a choice between
> installing a program via a port vs. a package
>  what should one do?

I always use ports. The packages are precompiled for 386 cpus, while I
have an Athlon. By changing /etc/make.conf, and can have every port
optimized for the Athlon. For some programs this doesn't make much of a
speed difference, but for others it is very significant. In addition,
you have the opportunity to "customize" the port. For example, I like
the dia program but the package has it built for GNOME which I don't
use. By editing the port Makefile I can build dia for GTK+ only.

On the flip side, the time spent compiling ports may not be worth it to
you.

David