Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:06:41 +0300
From:      =?UTF-8?B?0JDQu9C10LrRgdCw0L3QtNGAINCU0LXRgNC10LLRj9C90LrQvg==?= <aeder@list.ru>
To:        mess-mate <messmate@free.fr>
Cc:        Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: copy file to cd-rw

mess-mate wrote:

>I've readed .
>But sorry if i insist, the file to save is very-very important for me.
>This file contains the openoffice data of my work.
>So, i can't do any mistake and have no experience with 'cat', 'split' or 'mkisofs'.
>
>His name is 'home.tar.bz2' !! and is 2.4GB long.
>I've to find a way to save that file anywhere and must be accessed by
>my FBSD 5.3 as by another linux disk.
>To do that i've created a second partition /dev/hda4 with a ext3 fs
>can be accessed by my FBSD as by the linux disk.
>
>I can cp this file from that ext3 partition to FBSD but after changed and retarred/bzip2 My FBSD won't cp it to that partition " File too large".
>
>I can of course split that file, in this case it must be possible to join the resulting files from FBSD as by linux.
>
>I don't know if linux can join these files, splitted by FBSD, with a 'cat'.
>
>Anybody can help me with this issue ?
>
>Thanks in advance for your time.
>mess-mate
>

>On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:09:55 -0700
>Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>> This section of the handbook gives very good instructions on how to
>>save files to CD:
>>16.6 Creating and Using Optical Media (CDs)
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
>>

>>On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:45:01 +0100, mess-mate <messmate@free.fr> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi guys,
>>>I've to copy a large file to a cd-rw and have
>>>a little troubles with my 5.3 system now.
>>>Can you send me the exact way to do it ??

First of all: File too large means that filesystem doesn't support such
long files. You can't do anything with it.
For you information, ISO filesystem doesn't support > 2Gb files too.
Of course, split and cat utilities will work both in FreeBSD and any
sort of Linux.
You even can cat and ungzip files under Windows (in Cygwin enviroment).

Best regards,
Alexander Derevianko.