Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:17:31 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: Fortissimo II vs Santa Cruz for FreeBSD

On Thursday, 17th January 2002, Stephen McKay wrote:

>So, has anybody tried either of these cards with FreeBSD?  How do they
>sound?  Do they even work at all?  Any problems with 44.1kHz (given that
>both of them run at 48kHz internally, as far as I know)?  Does recording
>work?

I thought I should update you all on my progress.

I corresponded with a few people as a result of this thread.  One responded
with "The Fortissimo II works with 4.4, but I haven't tried recording".
Another said "I have a Santa Cruz.  It's been excellent.  Haven't tried
recording yet."

So, that's part one: They both work (and maybe even record too).

Someone suggested http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm
as a source of useful data.  Indeed it is.

Another countered with "FreeBSD does not support a lot of features of
these cards" so I would be wasting money, and "Most cheap cards are very
good these days.  My particular favorites are the ALS4000 and CS4281."

This is mostly true.  But I'm not happy with the hiss level on my current
ALS4000.  Cheap seems to mean you can be lucky, or not, with the "same"
cards.

My final correspondent suggested the "Hoontech DSP24 Value. Supposedly the
Envy24 driver at http://www.opensound.com works for it under FreeBSD."
This looks quite appealing: 24bit 96kHz stereo playback and record through
RCA connectors, a 10 channel 36 bit hardware mixer, and coaxial and optical
digital in/out on an optional bracket.  No silly 3D modes.  Straightforward
and practical.  And cheap too (compared to similar cards).

http://www.alsa-project.org (the Linux sound driver project) supports the
DSP24, and the chip manufacturer supplies the data sheet for free.  Could
be a winner, with a bit of work.  Could also be sort of insurance against
a likely near future when direct CD ripping becomes impossible, and you
have to rip via your sound card's audio input.  Well, it could happen!
And do you want to run your CD collection through the dodgy input circuits
of your cheap sound card when encoding?

>And does anybody know where I can buy a Santa Cruz in Australia?

As far as I can tell, nobody sells this card here.

>PS I heard a rumour that the VideoLogic SonicFury is the Santa Cruz
>board in a different box.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Apparently this is true.  (My guess is it will turn out to be ever-so-subtly
different, and ruin my day :-)  But I can't find a vendor for this one either.

And the punch line?  What will I buy?  Probably the Hoontech DSP24 (just
because I can), and also the Fortissimo II (to actually use right now).

I'm not convinced that any of the cheap cards will be turn out to sound any
good, and I'm willing to waste the fancy 3D aspects to get the sound I want.
Plus the DSP24 looks like a practical and useful tool.  Well, OK, I want to
fiddle with it!  That's enough reason, isnt it?

Stephen.