Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 21:10:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
To:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 21960

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, David Bushong wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:10:17AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 08:12:08PM -0700, Barrett G. Lyon wrote:
> > > With 4.1-Stable we could not get the random hang to go away.  We gave up
> > > on U160 and Adaptec and just replaced it with a symbios card.
> >
> > Is there a compareable SCSI card, with the amount of connectors like
> > on the 29160 ? At least I need LVD wide and Narrow SCSI.
> >
> > BTW, what symbios model is it ?
> >
> Symbios is just the chipset these days.  I've had excellent results with
> the Tekram DC390-U3W using the "sym" driver.  I'm using it to work around the
> broken onboard 29160 on my SuperMicro 370DL3 motherboard.  Unfortunately,
> the 64 bit tekram card has a different shaped slot than the 64 bit on the
> 370DL3, but it works fine in 32 bit mode.
>
> The DC390-U3W has, I believe, actually one more channel by default than
> the 29160.  I believe you can use LVD, UW, and 50 pin all at the same time.

That's what the 29160 has, too.  I know, I bought it (it's sitting
here) and I have just ordered the DC390-U3W (darn it).

Nice paperweight.

Chuck Robey             | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org| electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.