Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:45:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      <david@sparks.net>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARP REQUEST question

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Ron G. Minnich wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, David Greenman wrote:
> >    Switches should be checking the CRC on inbound packets and discarding
> > them if it is bad, so I don't see a problem.
>
> No problem if the crc on the inbound packet is bad. Discard it. Suppose
> there's a problem though between the 'inbound crc check' and the 'outbound
> crc generate' such that one bit in the packet is corrupted. Say, a pattern
> that results in a marginal component internal to the switch corrupting
> data, then the corrupt data is used to generate crc-32 on the outgoing
> side. Boom, corrupted packet, no indication. This can and does happen.
>
> Checksums have to be end-to-end.

What meaning does an arp entry have for an interface which is not on a
local interface?

And if it *is* on a local interface, the level two error checking should
handle it.

> Most recent (humorous) example: Don Becker reports that he detected
> problems with gigabit ethernet cards via IP checksums. The problems
> occured (yikes!) on the destination machine, as the data was transferred
> from the card to main memory. No crc-32 error can catch that one, since
> it's already been checked on the card. Ouch.

Uhmm, using software to determine whether the hardware which is running on
it is functioning properly sounds generally self-defeating.

--- David