Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2011 21:11:32 -0800
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing Luvalley with FreeBSD as dom0
References:  <20100418191752.GA72730@triton8.kn-bremen.de>	<w2r3b0605b31004181554tb90de59u6df8ebd5b1206caa@mail.gmail.com>	<AANLkTi=nhk%2BeCG6kbe4LfeaTQWkKaVcr%2BRx2LrKparDO@mail.gmail.com>	<20110107194516.GA28544@triton8.kn-bremen.de>	<AANLkTikvP8SezKEZYSUimaj3u8fkk2Vw6-aY09KV=RF3@mail.gmail.com>	<20110107213643.GA32645@triton8.kn-bremen.de>	<AANLkTi=2Nn8xeKudxb2uSR=aLx0GW43gVPCdL-=hjP7z@mail.gmail.com>	<AANLkTikbuWJbtPYaLW=8BEH4f5oiumzEN6rgwOB5tC=R@mail.gmail.com>	<20110109110022.GA10789@triton8.kn-bremen.de>	<AANLkTik9Ckh2UAaed=YYbBFCP6yyd6kOmSXdEYmZPiEd@mail.gmail.com>	<4D2A55F4.6010704@mittelstaedt.us> <AANLkTim0cfNkEEq7daR=iCD1kaKTpqBdMXavLZoJP3ri@mail.gmail.com>

On 1/9/2011 6:51 PM, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us
> <mailto:tedm@mittelstaedt.us>> wrote:
>
>     The practical reality of it is I can go out and buy a brand new,
>     super-fast computer and run FreeBSD 8 on it then VirtualBox on that,
>     then my guest OS's under VirtualBox - and get the same performance
>     as a bare-metal hypervisor like ESXi or Luvalley on older hardware.
>     And, with the FreeBSD/VirtualBox way, I get access to a far wider array
>     of hardware including disk RAID hardware.
>

> Now days, there is very little, if any difference in guest speed(cpu
> based operations) in either type 1 or 2 hypervisors.  Both types
> basically let the code run directly on the cpu, except they aren't
> allowed to touch ring 0.  I was having a great of difficulty a few
> months ago with virtualization debian host I had set up.  One of the
> Windows guests saw some high peak in network traffic which caused
> various issues which the virtio drivers didn't resolve.  With it being a
> file server among other things, the flakiness had to be resolved.  The
> physical box was a recent Dell Xeon with pair of broadcom and intel nics
> and the orginal hypervisor I used was KVM.  The one in Debian's
> repository at the time was somewhat old, but that's what the client
> originally requested.  Since this setup didn't work, I moved it over to
> the current proprietary version of Virtualbox which did better, but not
> satifactory because issues were still present.  Finally, I moved it to
> Xen 4 because I knew it had pci-pass-through support and those broadcoms
> were sitting there doing nothing.  The pci-pass-through of the broadcoms
> to the Windows guest works great.  I haven't had another problem with
> the box.
>
> So the point of my story is that I think a modern KVM is just as fast
> and featureful as Xen since they both have pci-pass-through and you
> should expect the same(roughly) performance on your guests withever
> recent hypervisor you choose.  Virtualbox is fast too, maybe even a bit
> faster than KVM but until it gets pci-pass-through it won't be as
> feature complete as the others.
>
> I think the luvalley approach is quite innovative and interesting, but
> honestly the main reason for my inquiry into it is that IMO it's only a
> matter of time till Oracle decides they need to make money from Vbox,
> and I don't want to see FreeBSD lose this technology which has been such
> a boon for me and many others.  kqemu is only good for so much ;)

Unless Microsoft makes Hyper-V a cost item, this won't happen.  The
situation is like the Firefox/Internet Explorer Chinese finger trap.
And VirtualBox is under the same dual GPL/proprietary licensing setup
that Mysql and that Qt uses so even if Oracle stopped development on the
OSE edition, some other group would pick it up.

Ted