Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2018 19:45:01 +0300
From:      Ruslan Makhmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>, Babak Farrokhi <farrokhi@FreeBSD.org>, rm@FreeBSD.org, python@FreeBSD.org, sunpoet@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipython 7.x and ipykernel 5.x

Hi Steve,

Steve Wills wrote on 12/5/18 6:10 PM:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to update devel/py-jupyter_console and devel/py-qtconsole, I
> found that I need ipython 7.x and ipykernel 5.x. I already created
> devel/py-prompt_toolkit2 since prompt_toolkit 2.x is incompatible with 1.x.
>
> Should I commit separate ports for devel/ipython7 and
> devel/py-ipykernel5 or do you have plans to update devel/ipython and
> devel/py-ipykernel? Note I already have devel/ipython7 and
> devel/py-ipykernel5 tested and working locally. But I thought we may
> prefer to just update rather than keep so many versions around. What's
> your preference?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

devel/ipython is py3x only, so it's safe to update it to 7.x. We also
have devel/ipython5 for py2x users.

As for jupyter update, I personally think that if upstream switched to
python 3, we should do the same. But all the 2.x-only dependencies of
ipython should be somehow fixed. If somebody embeds system-wide
installed ipython into their 2.x application instead of using
virtualenv, it's not the ports maintainers problem IMHO.

--
Regards,
Ruslan

T.O.S. Of Reality