Date:      14 Sep 1995 08:22:33 -0600
From:      "Owen Newnan" <onewnan@denitqm.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
To:        "questions about FreeBSD" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Quiet Mouse

                       Subject:                               Time:7:51 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Quiet Mouse                            Date:9/14/95

I rebuilt my kernel to pick up PS/2 mouse support, using the psm line out of
LINT.  X came up with the mouse working and one of the first things I did in
one of the windows was dump/restore my root fs to my backup root.  I made the
kernel again to pick up message queues and some other optimizations.  Kernel
comes up fine, xdm comes up, but mouse is numb.  I back out the root
filesystem using dd and the backup partition.  Same problem: X comes up but
with nonfunctional mouse.  Obviously, something changed.  Perhaps X has
populated some file in my root directory that isn't quite right.  Can anyone
suggest what the problem might be, or diagnostic procedures I can use to shake
down the mouse?  BTW, if I try cat </dev/psm0, I always get "device
temporarily unavailable."