Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:39:25 -0700
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improving GNU make compatibility in BSD make (+ patch)

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 11:28:49PM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

>     Jos> My proposal for adding $^ as an alias for $> does not add any
>     Jos> incompatibilities, neither with POSIX nor with any existing BSD
>     Jos> make.
>
> Yes, and no. Adding new features doesn't break existing code, but it
> encourages new code to use the new features in a non-compatible way. The
> import of tcsh on top of csh is a classic of this.  What we have
> works. It's not cool and/or sexy. But it works. If you *need* the
> features of GNUmake, use GNUmake.

Sigh. BSD make and GNU make already _share_ this same feature, it's just that
they _name_ it differently: $> v.s. $^. If POSIX would only adopt one (or
both) we could follow their lead and be done with it. But that's not going to
happen any time soon.

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA