Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 15:21:07 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_union

<<On Fri, 17 May 1996 11:22:26 -0700 (PDT), Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freefall.freebsd.org> said:

>   1. Union mounts don't work anyways.
>   2. When they do work in Lite2, mount_union won't be setuid root.
>   3. If the user want to try out union mounts now, he can su and do it.

NB: `union mount' != `unionfs'.  Unfortunately, even the 4.4 book
preserves this linguistic inaccuracy.  Support for `union mounts'
(i.e., `MNT_UNION') has been present for a long time, and so far as I
am aware works just fine (at least, I have not seen any crashes which
can be traced to this code; I haven't used it in a while and it might
be broken now).  (If anyone thinks it doesn't work, I'd like to hear
about it.)  This is a completely different animal from `unionfs'
(MOUNT_UNION) which really ought to be called something like
`translucentfs' but that would be too long.  Different purposes,
different mechanism, sometimes similar results.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.