Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:49:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failure to mount / after successful boot on wd2

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov wrote:

> I am attempting to get FreeBSD (2.2.2, although I could use 3.0-current
> if that would solve it), to boot off of a second EIDE disk which is
> master on the second EIDE controller.  Win95 owns the disk on the
> first controller.
>
> I installed the Booteasy MBR on both disks, it seems to work fine,
> I point it at the second disk, it boots, it does everything perfectly
> correctly and happily until it wants to go multiuser and mount /,
> then, it can't mount root from "wd1" (why is "wd1" here, I thought
> we were using wd0 and wd2?) and then it dies.

The following should fix you up.

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

> If I take the exact
> same disk, edit /etc/fstab (boot from floppy, mount using fixit),
> to point at wd0 instead of wd2, and disconnect the w95 disk
> at wd0 and reconnect the freebsd disk there, it works fine.
> Why can't it mount root on wd2, and what is pointing at "wd1"
> since /etc/fstab is set to mount filesystems on wd2?  As I said,
> changing only /etc/fstab entries to wd0, everything works fine
> if the disk is the master disk on the primary controller.

This is because the boot blocks are good at counting but not good at
looking at IDE controllers.  It notices that you have two IDE disks and
assumes you have then connected to the primary controller, thus making
their designations wd0 and wd1.  Of course, the kernel, which knows about
IDE controllers, thinks otherwise and thus the 'can't mount root' message.

The method above will fix this permanently.

Hope this helps!

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo