Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:09:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        'Jan Grant' <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Sleepycat BerkeleyDB 2.7.7 & JDK 1.2.2

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Koster, K.J. wrote:

> > Actually, I got hold of 3.14 which builds much more cleanly.
> > However, it's not the first time I've run into C++ JNI stuff
> > that lacks support from the underlying JVM. Is there anything
> > that can be done about this?
> >
> FWIW The main reason to work on a native FreeBSD port fo the JDK was to
> support JNI.
>
> I'm a little lost on what you are running into. Does your application
> compile? Does it run? What errors are you seeing?

I've been around this on Solaris last year with an earlier version 2. If
you grab the 2.7.7 BDB and try to build the java support, it'll compile
cleanly. However, running it gives errors like*:

(after the System.loadlib (or whatever)

/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib/libdb.so: missing symbol: __ti9exception
or
missing symbol: __rtti_user

etc. This is because the JNI stuff in version 2 of BDB uses the C
version of the libraries; yet the jvm isn't compiled with any support
for C++ exceptions or RTTI (as far as I can tell) and there are too many
unresolved symbols to just use the System.loadlib (or whatever) to bring
in ilbstdc++.so or suchlike.

In a sentence: the BDB java stuff uses native C++ shared libraries, which
cannot be dynamically loaded because the JVM doesn't contain sufficient
support for C++ runtime stuff (exceptions, RTTI) to satisfy the linker.

jan

* Exact messages lost 'cause I've been too quick on the draw with rm -rf
twice today :-(

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
My "5k award" entry: http://tribble.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~cmjg/test/small.html