Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 2015 11:39:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB stick and some help with it. [SOLVED] The usb stick is in the trash now.

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015, Quartz wrote:

>> I have not found a Linux utility similar to gpart
>
> Umm.... you do know that linux has gpart too, right? Like, it's a standard
> part of most distros, and it's what GParted Live is based around?

I thought GParted live was based around parted.

Either way, having the same name does not mean they have the same
capabilities or the same user interface.  But no, I don't think there
has been a gpart program on the Linux utility disks I use.  For
partitioning, they usually have two or three menu-based programs and
cfdisk.

> But ignoring that for the moment, there are a bunch of other programs that do
> all the same things in basically the same way. For example, "sgdisk -Z
> /dev/sda" and "gpart destroy /dev/sda" both nuke the partition information
> for a given disk.

Okay.  Can you point me to a man page or utility distribution with that
version of gpart for Linux?  The man pages I've found seem to be for a
very old utility that reconstructs partition tables.

>> Some Linux utilities can be useful, but don't reach for them
>> until you have tried what is available in FreeBSD.
>
> It's not like FreeBSD has some kind of monopoly GPT stuff or useful disk
> utilities, any other *nix OS has pretty much all the same tools.

True.  On the other hand, my experience is that FreeBSD generally
handles those things in a more useful way.  And I don't see the point in
grabbing a Linux utility disk when FreeBSD is already running and has
the tools for the job.