Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 20:25:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        fscked@pacbell.net
Cc:        cambria@fid4.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to find a true PCI->PCMCIA Adapter

In message: <3D52CA83.4BB71351@pacbell.net>
            richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net> writes:
: Belkin's PCI->PCMCIA adapter appears to sufficient elements of the wi
: chipset to be recognized as a wi at boot time even with no PCMCIA card
: installed.

Then this is a PLX based card (which is what I recall from the stores).

: The PCMCIA card itself, alas, is not a supported wireless card at this time,
: to the best of my knowledge (this may change in 5.0).

I'm not aware of any belkin pcmcia wireless card that isn't
supported.

: It is my understanding that the bridges are proprietary to their vendors but
: this may only be true on the Windows side of things, where interoperability
: is determined by the manufacturer rather than the chipset.

Not exactly.  The PLX bridges are documented and/or trivial to figure
out what the interface to them are.  They are just a cost reduced way
of bringing pcmcia cards onto the pci bus when you don't need all that
hot-swap ability :-)

Warner