Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:17:36 +1000
From:      Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
To:        David DeSimone <fox@verio.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, B.Candler@pobox.com
Subject:   Re: VPN with FAST_IPSEC and ipsec tools

David DeSimone wrote:

>Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>Ah, I guess this means you're following the instructions in the
>>FreeBSD handbook, which last time I looked gave a most bizarre and
>>unnecessary way of setting up IPSEC (GIF tunneling running on top of
>>IPSEC *tunnel* mode).  I raised it on this list before.
>>

>I ran into the same thing when analyzing the handbook's examples, and
>quickly abandoned the handbook when writing my own configs.
>

>>Most people are better off just setting up IPSEC tunnel mode.  A few
>>use GIF running on top of IPSEC _transport_ mode (e.g.  those running
>>routing protocols like OSPF over tunnels)
>>

>The main reason to use IPSEC tunnel mode and avoid GIF is that such a
>config is interoperable with other IPSEC implementations (Cisco,
>Checkpoint, etc), and thus is much more useful in the real world.
>
>- --
>David DeSimone == Network Admin == fox@verio.net

OK that said, how do you create a network to network  tunnel based VPN
without using the gif or gre devices?
I been trying to link up 2 networks between to VPN gateways and I have
kind of given up, all the examples out there use a gif tunnel or a gre
tunnel.
I simply haven't been able to work out the routes or how to make
ipsec-tools trigger based on seeing interesting traffic, its using a
preshared key configuration.

I have been using the typical ipsec.conf settings that most examples
give for tunnel configurations but still no luck.
At first I thought it was a NAT-T problem as the reason the IKE wasn't
kicking in but after testing with pure internet IPs and no nat I
realized it wasn't that.

If I could just have an example to look at I think it could really help.

Thanks
Mike