Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:40:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

	I remember figuring out a few releases ago that most
of the problems occurred with the cdroms, and did not show up
at all for people who were getting source and doing make
worlds.

	It's getting increasingly possible to really test a
release, since people can download an iso and burn it.  This
is probably a somewhat different group than the group that
tracks -stable with sources.

	You'd have to ask them to do this and be ready to
thank them for making the effort even if some of the problems
they reported were clearly pilot error.  Maybe they could
sign up as beta-testers and get a package of stickers or
something in return for the time and effort, and have some
way to label a message to identify themselves when they
report (and perhaps fill out the answers to some standard
questions).  I would think you could find a few bright young
committers willing to sort through these responses and flag
the real problems.

	This approach would formalize part of the process but
doesn't seem to do any violence to the concept of a participatory
volunteer community.

	Annelise