Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:13:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Mark Holden <markh@HEMPAC.Net>
Cc:        Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP LaserJet 6L

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Mark Holden wrote:

> It's not so much that you need a printcap entry, as that you need a filter
> that converts LF to CR+LF.  I've done stuff like this in the past, but it's
> been a long time since I neded to make a non Postscript HP work with a UNIX
> box.  It might be possible to do with stty settings in printcap, but I never
> had any luck doing that.
>
> Given that this has to be one of the most common problems when hooking a
> printer up to most UNIXes, I'm kinda surprised they're not a standard fix
> for it with an example in /etc/printcap.
>
> Or have I been painfully stupid about this for the last 7 or so years?

I wouldn't call you that, just that there's more stuff out there than any
six people could keep track of.  One thing here, in particular, that you
guys should look at is the port of apsfilter.  That's a great, automatic,
multipurpose printer filter.  Send anything your heart desires off to the
printer, and it converts it intelligently and prints it.

Before you get that, get ghostscript5 working well for you, so that you
know just which of the _large_ assortment of printer drivers that are
available for it work for you.  This will mean also installing the things
that ghostscript5 wants, like tiff, jpeg, and png libraries.

Once you get that working, read up on lpd, then try
/usr/ports/print/apsfilter.  You'll be glad you did.  If you need help,
ask on the FreeBSD-ports list for help.

I think I'll do some surgery on apsfilter anyhow, it's needed it for a
while now.  I have a new port of a2ps ready (waiting for the author to
release a new version next week, he asked for it, and I'm going to do
that) and apsfilter uses a2ps.  Apsfilter has to be hacked to use the new
version.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |