Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 04:51:00 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How I update installed ports

m p <sumirati@yahoo.de> types:
> > Which is the correct way to update an installed port?
> > update the src-tree, make reinstall

I don't think this will do even vaguely the right things.

> > update the src-tree, pkg_delete, make install

Make it "make clean install", and this works quite well. It's pretty
much what pkg_version -c does, only pkg_version -c does it in a way
that won't remove the old version unless the new one builds properly.

> And can some who have a good knowlegde about the porting/upgrading cyclus
> please update the following entry in the FAQ:
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/applications.html#PORTS-UPDATE

Other than mentioning that portupgrade exists, what needs to be done
to it? It seems that the information in it is basically correct.

	<mike