Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:17:27 +0100
From:      Peter Harmsen <pharmsen@horizon.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Expected too much?

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:31:58 -0500
"Gustavo Cevallos" <gcevallos@aquasinc.com> wrote:

> I downloaded and installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a computer.  I go past the
login
> and password stage. Can I go to a full graphics mode? How?
>
> Gustavo A. Cevallos
> AQUAS Inc.
> 5480 Wisconsin Av. Suite 210
> Chevy Chase, MD 20815
> Telf. 301 654 4000
> Fax. 301 654 4004

Hello,

That's easy,install only windowmaker from the post-configuration screen
(apps section) . Launch a terminal,like dos prompt,su to root,and enter
"touch .xinitrc" , while you are there you might type "touch .xsession"
as well. after that edit the file: /etc/tty's ,you only have to change
off in on on line 8 (tty8...)

Effect is you get a ugly xdm login screen after reboot and you have at
least something to read the online Handbook with at www.freebsd.org,for
a fair start and further configuration examples.

Have fun,don't forget nothing is what it seems :-)