Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:43:23 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Mysterious boot during the night

	Just to be safe, I'd still seek some kind of diagnostic just to make sure.
Ruling something out before you've tested it can lead to nagging problems
that "just can't happen"...

> > Now we're getting closer.  There were problems
> > with IDE data corruption and the VT82C686B.  sos
> > committed a fix to -CURRENT about 2 months ago:
>
> How can I tell if this fix is in my machine?  I installed from a
> set of Wind
> River CDs, marked as FreeBSD 4.3 (without much additional
> information), and
> dated April 2001.

	I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that if you CVSupped to the
newest version, it might include the fix.  I'd see what sos had to say about
it though before doing anything.

> > He doesn't appear to have MFCd to -STABLE.
>
> MFCd?

	Merged From CURRENT.  Basically, at the point that it's Merged From
CURRENT, it's been tested and validated enough to put into the STABLE
branch.

	Your best bet, I believe, is going to be to talk with sos and see about
getting the patch either MFC'd to the STABLE branch, or to get a copy of the
patch yourself and apply it.

--- Andy