Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:28:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Andresen,Jason R. wrote:
> Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > I want to ask if anyone of you already has some experience with the ATI
> > Radeon All-In-Wonder graphics card (the one with the TV tuner).
>
> I don't think the TV tuner part works in FreeBSD.  The only TV tuners
> supported in FreeBSD are Brooktree 8x8 based chips and the Matrox
> Meteor (which has been out of production for a long time).

I've found the following page:

http://www.linuxvideo.org/gatos/

which talks about the AIW Radeon, but it isn't quite clear to me if their
development is already stable or not. Plus they are distributing
replacements of XFree binaries, and I'm not sure if they will work here.

> > Does it work at all? Does the tuner part work (can I watch TV in FreeBS=
D)?
> > Does the TV out part work?
>
> I think XFree has support for the graphics part of the chip, although
> the
> TV out won't work because of licensing issues with Macrovision.

Too bad. I had the vision of replacing my 'normal' VCR with a digital,
PC-based one, since CDs (with mpegs burned on them) take a lot less space
than video tapes :)

But it's good that I asked, since the card is quite expensive here and I
don't want to spend a lot of money on hardware that doesn't work (ok, who
wants that?).

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                          eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
WWW-Redaktion                       Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)    Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien