Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:28:45 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: write(2) returns error saying read only filesystem when trying  to write to a partition

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> > Regardless /dev/da18s1 should work as for /dev/da18
[snip]

> No, and no. You misunderstand the problem.
>
> A disk on IBM PC compatible computers has the following format:

I dont misunderstand the problem and I do know how disks are laid out
under FreeBSD.  I may not have expressed myself very well when I said
"/dev/da18s1 should work as for /dev/da18" as I was referring to my
in context discussion of "why cant I write to this device".

My point is that I should be able to write to anything and do the
damage that would result.

Solaris and Compaq's Tru64 (the OS formerly know as DEC OSF/1) both
allow me to destroy the UNIX disklabel by writing to the 'c'
partition.  I am of the opinion that FreeBSD should allow me to
as well.  The kernel has an in-memory copy of the disklabel so
there shouldn't be a technical issue to stop me from doing so.

--
 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Science Corporate Information Systems         Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537