Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:03:15 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle buys Sun

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:42 AM, ovi freebsd <lists@freebsdonline.com> wrot=
e:
> I know this is not about FreeBSD but it is about open source and it matte=
rs,
> maybe many of you heard about last news:
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D09/04/20/128246 =C2=A0 =
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 -
> /"Oracle Corporation (NASDAQ: ORCL) and Sun Microsystems (NASDAQ: JAVA)
> announced today they have entered into a definitive agreement under which
> Oracle will acquire Sun
> <http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/018363oracleharligekbtSun...>;
> common stock for $9.50 per share in cash.

The really interesting bit, at least for me, will be seeing what
happens with btrfs now that Oracle has full access to ZFS.  Will they
continue development of btrfs?  Will they port ZFS to Linux?  Will
they release ZFS as GPL?  Will they borrow ideas from ZFS for btrfs
and vice versa?  What will this mean for the rest of the OSS world
that is using ZFS?

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com