Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:50:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      walton@digger.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Partition table problem

Ok, I need some help from someone who is EXTREMELY familiar with
partition tables, DOS partitions (esp. extended), and the FreeBSD
partition tools (fdisk and the partition editor in sysinstall).

I have a 30GB drive which had two 2GB partitions on it.  I then added
a 4GB FreeBSD partition (type 165), but did not install FreeBSD at
that time.  On the remainder of the drive (approx. 20GB) I created a
DOS extended partition which contained a single DOS logical drive (FAT32).

All was fine until I went to install 4.4-R tonight.  Upon entering the
partition editor in sysinstall, I saw that I already had ad0s3 set up
for FreeBSD, AND EXITED WITHOUT MAKING ANY CHANGES.  I proceeded into
the disklabel editor and set up the mount points, and continued the
installation.  The install went smoothly, and I rebooted.

At that point, I discovered that the partition editor had rewritten
the partition table (even though it was unnecessary), and had marked
the 4th (formerly extended DOS) partition as unused!!  It did not
alter the partition offsets or sizes (as far as I can tell), so no
data should be lost, but I am now unable to access that partition.

What I need to know is how I can SAFELY edit that entry in the
partition table to convert it from unused back into an extended DOS
partition, with a single logical drive in it.  Any use of DOS fdisk
is out of the question, since that will wipe the partition.  I suspect
I could use the partition editor to create a partition there
(type number?), but I don't know for sure that is safe, and what about
the logical drive?

Ok, experts...  Dazzle me with your brilliance!  :)

Thanks,
Dave

.