Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:59:21 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk space over 1 TB

Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a quick question: with the recent (past 1-2 months) commits made to
> CURRENT, is it possible to use more than 1 TB of disk space? (this would
> be a hardware RAID array, accessed via SCSI as a single ID, so no ccd,
> vinum or other magic)

The i386 port uses the generic disklabel code, which has 32 bit logical
block addressing, which means that the partitions themselves are limited to
1TB or so.  The GEOM work-in-progress is 64 bit clean internally and has at
least one 64 bit clean partition method (EFI, from ia64) but that wouldn't
be usable on boot disks without a fair bit of bootblock work and the
userland tools to produce it are very raw at this stage.  But one could
theoretically use a 64 bit EFI layout on a large external raid and boot
from a smaller disk.

Cheers,
-Peter